October 7, 2015

The Landslide

I listened to that song you told me about,
And I agreed with the lyrics.

Well, not anymore,
But I used to,
Or at least I thought I did.

You will find me,
Someday,
Somewhere,
But not caught beneath anything.

Not even a landslide.

Because you know,
I know,
That I've been trying too hard,
And I've been fighting too hard,
To get to that place where I'm going.

I'm not sure where that's going to be,
Or if it's with you,
Or with him,
Or with anyone,
To be honest.

But I know it's not in the lyrics.

I know that,
That's for sure.

Because one day,
Someone is going to read what I wrote,
And they're going to write something, too,
Pretending that they weren't inspired by me.

Just as I said that I wasn't inspired by you,
Or the band,
Or the lyrics.

We're all so original, right?

Because truth be told,
I know I'm going to be caught beneath the landslide,
Someday,
Somewhere.

No matter how hard I try,
Or what I try to scribe,
There's going to be someone new.

And that's fine.

For you,
For me,
And for the crowd,
That's for sure.

When that moment comes,
I think I'll see it,
Out of the corner of my eye.

I'll probably laugh,
And toss my work off to the side,
Temporarily,
Because the landslide may be taking me.

But it's not taking everything.