December 18, 2014

Michelle Obama: Target Employee of the Year

There's no place for racism, sexism, homophobia or any form of discrimination in the world. 

There's also no place for talking crap about my hometown of Buffalo, but I try to let that one side.

In a recent interview with People, the Obama's opened up about racism in their own lives. While I am not undermining the terrible things that have happened to them, or the everyday racism that occurs in the United States, I found one of her quotes a little upsetting:

"I tell this story - I mean, even as the first lady - during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new."

Why is this quote upsetting? Well, she had a completely different spin on the situation a few years ago when she appeared on Late Show With David Letterman:

"I thought I was undercover. I have to tell you something about this trip though. No one knew that was me because a woman actually walked up to me, right? I was in the detergent aisle, and she said - I kid you not - she said, 'Excuse me, I just have to ask you something,' and I thought, 'Oh, cover's blown.' She said, 'Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?" I kid you not ... And the only thing she said - I reached up, 'cause she was short, and I reached up, pulled it down - she said, 'Well, you didn't have to make it look so easy.' That was my interaction. I felt so good ... She had no idea who I was. I thought, as soon as she walked up - I was with my assistant, and I said, 'This is it, it's over. We're going to have to leave.' She just needed the detergent."

You can watch the clip here.

This article is dedicated to anyone who asked me for fashion advice in 2009. Back then, I thought you were just asking a friend, but now I know what you really meant. 

You were only asking because I am gay. You homophobes.