June 18, 2014

When Social Media Use Becomes Disgusting

As a modern Millennial, social media and technology have been engrained in my life since my early teens. 

After working in social media for the past year and a half, in addition to using it to advance my journalism career, I suppose I'm a little more jaded than your average 25-year-old.

On Tuesday night, I was riding the New York City subway with my boyfriend when one of the funniest things in the world happened. 

It was so funny and unique. 

Some homeless man was passed out, slumped over in his seat, and people were recording him, stop after stop.

Finally, after holding my tongue for some time, I finally said something.

"Dude, how old are you? Stop recording him. He's drunk."

"Ah, man. Man. Don't be a superhero."

What? I wasn't quite sure what he meant, but figured that he was comparing me to Clark Kent with my thick glasses and flowing hair. I get compliments in the darndest places!

"Who the fuck are you? Am I talking to you? Am I bothering you?"

"Well, yeah, you are bothering me. That's why I said something."

This infuriated the amateur videographer even more -- he became hostile and threatening, and his lady friend had to calm him down. He wanted to harm little old me.

"No. No. Not again. Not again. It's not worth it. He's not worth it."

Not again? Ah! I have only been punched in the face once -- during my freshman year of high school -- and I didn't want it to happen again. Especially with glasses on!

The other straphangers looked anxiously at us. I looked at the duo. The homeless man apparently looked at the floor, unaware of the argument that had erupted.

A few moments later, we pulled into our station. The two were still visibly hostile, so we walked past them quickly and made our way to the platform. I wasn't attacked for defending a homeless person, so my guardian angel must have been working overtime, per the usual.

Joking aside, the way people use social media is going past annoying -- it's downright disgusting. Sure, this occurrence isn't the worst thing that's ever happened on the New York City subway, and it's probably not even close, but it's a very slippery slope.

Maybe I'm overreacting, though. It's not like someone recently fell into the subway tracks, and instead of coming to her assistance, people pulled out their cell phones and started to record.

Oh wait. That did happen.

Please don't exploit people on social media. And make sure you're in a safe environment if you ever decide to confront someone.