February 1, 2013

"I'm Not Your Typical Gay Guy" Is Getting Old

Around ten percent of humans are gay or lesbian.

However, if you went to a small liberal arts college on the East Coast, many would argue that the number is reasonably higher ...

Once the world hits 7 billion people in a few months, that means that 700,000,000 individuals will identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual during their lifetime.

Whether browsing news online, reading a magazine or conversing while out and about in New York, it seems that many gay men get off to the fact that they are not "typical" of what society believes is a gay male in 2013.

In a recent op-ed in The Advocate titled "I'm A Gay Man with NFL Season Tickets," Nicolas Didomizio writes:

"I often joke with friends that the best example of irony I can think of, as both an openly gay man and an openly die-hard fan of the New England Patriots, is the fact that I associate gay bars with rejection and ostracization ­and I associate football games with love and acceptance."

For me, I associate gay bars with blacking out and professional athletic events with blacking out.

Shout out to the Buffalo Bills, baby!


Didomizio continues about his strife with gay life in New York City:

"I talked to a bunch of different guys ­-- some of them told me that my naïveté was adorable, some made fun of me for it, and one guy told me that I reminded him of a 12-year-old. One or two tried to take me home for no-strings-attached sex. A few totally rejected me when I tried to talk to them, and many more glared at me with strange, competitive, eye-roll-y looks of disapproval."

That's not gay life. That's bar life.

Any straight girls agree? 

Actually, I'm pretty sure the above has happened to a majority of my readers, no matter their sexual orientation.

Also, please don't tell me that I was the only one to take a sociology class in college.

You have hundreds of thousands of gay males flocking to New York City over the past few decades - a majority who were raised during a generation where LGBT awareness was minimal and they were constantly judged and ridiculed for who they were - and now those same people are congregating in a couple dozen bars in the same area of Manhattan.

Are you surprised that there's a little bit of judging and animosity at gay bars?

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

[Been wanting to use that line in a blog post for a while now...]

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...