August 30, 2012

USMC Commandant James Amos: No Problems Since The Repeal Of Don't Ask, Don't Tell

James Amos, the "top" U.S. marine, had this gem of a statement back in 2010 regarding what would happen if gay soldiers served openly in the United States:

"When your life hangs on a line, on the intuitive behavior of the young man ... who sits to your right and your left, you don't want anything distracting you," Amos told reporters at the Pentagon. "I don't want to lose any Marines to distraction. I don't want to have any Marines that I'm visiting at Bethesda (hospital) with no legs," he said. He added that "mistakes and inattention or distractions cost Marines' lives. That's the currency of this fight."
 

Thankfully, I've never had to fight overseas, but for those who serve our country, I'd like to assume that while under gunfire or attack, they wouldn't be thinking about who their fellow soldiers are fucking, but I digress.

In a recent interview with The Washington Blade, Amos seemed to evolve on his beliefs. A snippet from the article:

“I don’t think there is a problem,” said Commandant Gen. James Amos during a National Press Club luncheon in downtown Washington. “I don’t see it. I don’t hear about it.” [snip] “We obey orders,” said Amos. “We do that better than anybody does and we have.” He again noted that he doesn’t “even get a question” about openly gay and lesbian servicemembers from subordinates and other Marines. “I don’t hear anything,” said Amos. “I’m not seeing anything at all, so I’m very pleased with how it’s turned out. I’m very proud of the Marines."

Ideas For Gay Pride Events At The Pentagon


Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed on September 20, 2011.


Gay and lesbian Americans are able to serve openly throughout the world as they put their lives on the line. When back in the United States, they are only able to legally marry their same-sex partner in a handful of states.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...